The speed with which it is necessary to give technological answers to businesses today highlights the advantages of HCI devices. Here is a short guide to selecting hyper-convergence solutions that fit the needs of your business. Update the corporate data center by increasing the capabilities of its components or deploying a specific CPD to meet a business objective.
Whether it is to supply the necessary IT to a department, a delegation, or, well, to support the IT requirements of a new business opportunity, It is very complex. And, above all, practically impossible to assemble in the reduced times that are required today. The devices hiperconvergencia provide what is needed to enjoy a virtual data center SDDC (Software-Defined Data Center). In other words: computing, network, and storage are all in a virtualized environment.
Convergent Systems Vs Hyper-Converged Systems
Converged solutions are preconfigured engineering resources that combine products from different manufacturers specializing in these different areas. The difference between converged and hyperconverged systems is that in hyper-convergence solutions, all the hardware operations are controlled by a software called a hypervisor. Hyperconverged devices act as blocks in which the different resources are balanced according to needs in a virtualized environment. They are a turnkey solution.
VMware, Microsoft, and Citrix are the companies that provide the most widely used hypervisors, vSphere, Hyper-V, XEN Server, respectively. These are combined with different resources from leading network, computing, and storage manufacturers resulting in the multiple options of HCI devices. Once the basic concepts of this technology have been clarified, let’s see its main uses and advantages.
Top Benefits Of HCI Systems Hyper-Convergence Use Cases
It is precisely the advantages of hyper-converged devices that give rise to their many applications. Among the main benefits, the following stand out:
- Rapid Application Provisioning: The virtualized components are automatically balanced among themselves to adjust to the demands of use, attending to various aspects such as criticality, priority, security. Agile supply of workloads.
- Cost Savings: Virtualization limits the need for new hardware, and automation reduces IT staff costs to manage it.
High availability and scalability. The use that is being made of each resource is known at all times and if it is necessary to increase the capacity of the virtual datacenter, add another node.
- Maximum Flexibility: HCI appliances run any existing or new application workload on physical, private cloud, or hybrid cloud.
Some of the most common use cases are:
- Rapid deployment of virtual desktops
- Simple provisioning of data centers for new offices or departmental needs
- Infrastructure for backup and disaster recovery
- Software development and testing environments
- Reinforcement of IT resources for MSPs
- Private cloud to guarantee mobile access to corporate applications
- Dedicated architecture to ensure the correct execution of critical applications ( ERP program, CRM software, BPM solutions.).
When And How To Invest In Hyper-Convergence
That’s the million-dollar question when planning an IT project. The answer lies after a detailed analysis of the company’s IT infrastructure and its business needs. The speed and agility of deploying a complete data center in minutes using a hyper-converged device justify your investment. This IT consulting work is what Orbit provides as a technology and business partner to its clients. But, it must be admitted that it is not always the most recommended path. Its cost can alienate companies that can find what they are looking for in other technological solutions.
It is true that with hyper-convergence, we avoid having to deploy the network connecting storage and servers, that by changing these, it is not necessary to reinvest in hypervisor software and that we can expand storage via the cloud. But if, for example, we only want to grow in storage and not computation, we have to join a new node with all the components.
Or, if we only have the requirement to encrypt one cabin, we are forced to apply the encryption technology to the entire hyper-converged appliance, which increases the cost; the price also increases when replicating an entire node instead of one of its parts, etc. As we can see, there are many ways, and there is the best solution for each one. And HCI is for those assumptions that we have explained. For the rest, contact us, and we will explain the different options.